Home Energy Assistance Program

The Home Energy Assistance Program (HEAP) helps qualified homeowners and renters pay for heating costs. Benefits include help paying for fuel and emergency fuel delivery. You can also qualify for energy-related repairs if you are eligible for HEAP.

How do I apply?

You apply at your local Community Action Agency (CAA). You can find your local CAA here. It is important to call as soon as you can because appointments fill up fast. Apply for HEAP August 23, 2021 to July 15, 2022. You can apply for emergency fuel help November 1, 2021 – April 30, 2022.

For more general information on the program visit the program page or call 1-877-544-3271. 

Who’s eligible for help?

Qualifications for the HEAP program have recently changed. The amount of help you may receive from HEAP is based on your household size, income, and energy costs. Contact your local CAA to find out if you qualify today!

The amount of help you may get from HEAP is based on your household size, income, and energy costs. You may still apply for HEAP even if heat is part of your rent.



We want anyone who needs help to apply. It is best to talk to someone at your CAA because there are many factors that go in to finding out if you are eligible. You can click here to see if you meet the basic income guidelines.

Apply even if you are over income limits because some expenses may be deducted.


Find your local Community Action Agency here and schedule an appointment. You can also apply over the phone.


You will need certain documents to apply. This list may not include everything so make sure you ask your CAA what to bring.

  • Names and Social Security numbers of everyone living in your household
  • Proof of gross household income for the last 30 days/1month or 12 months. In some instances, people who are self-employed may need to provide proof of income for the previous 365 days.Household income includes, but is not limited to:
    • Wages
    • Social Security
    • Unemployment
    • Pension
    • Disability payments
  • Proof of present address (rent receipt, lease, property tax bill, etc.)
  • Recent copy of your electric bill
  • The type of fuel used to heat your home