Energy Assistance Program Details

Program Summary

Applications for the HEAP program are taken at your local Community Action Agency (CAA). You can find your local CAA here. It is important to call as soon as you can because appointments fill up fast. Apply for HEAP September 4, 2019 to July 15, 2020. You can apply for emergency fuel help November 1, 2019 – March 31, 2020.

The Home Energy Assistance Program (HEAP) provides money to help low-income homeowners and renters pay for heating costs.


The amount of assistance you may get from HEAP is based on your household size and income, energy costs, and other factors.

You may be eligible for assistance if your total household income falls within the income eligibility guidelines which is the greater of 150% Federal Poverty Level (FPL) or 60% of State. 

If your heat is included in your rent, you may still apply for HEAP.

Additional help may be available if you have less than a 3-day supply of heating fuel or are in danger of having utility services disconnected and you have no means to pay your energy company.  

If you are eligible for HEAP, you also may qualify for other programs that require HEAP eligibility:

  • If you receive residential electric service from an electric utility and you are not living in government subsidized housing, you may be eligible for assistance with your electric bills from your electric utility’s Low Income Assistance Plan (LIAP).
  • If your home is not as energy efficient as it could be, you may qualify for home weatherization improvements through our Weatherization Program.
  • If your heating system is in need of repair or replacement, you may qualify for the Central Heating Improvement Program (CHIP).

More Info

Please refer to our agency contact list to apply for HEAP and to be automatically considered for the Low Income Assistance Plan, Weatherization and Central Heating Improvement programs.

Applications for HEAP are accepted from September 4, 2019 through July 15, 2020.

At the time of application, you should be prepared to provide:
  • Names and social security numbers of all people living in your household.
  • Proof of gross household income for the last 3 or 12 months. (Household income includes, but is not limited to: wages, social security, unemployment, pension, and disability payments.)
  • Proof of present address (for example, a rent receipt, lease, deed, or property tax bill).
  • Recent copies of your energy and utility bills.
  • The type of fuel used to heat your home (natural gas, heating oil, propane, wood, wood pellets, biobricks, coal, corn or kerosene).
For more information, see our related document and related links at the top of the page, download the Home Energy Assistance Program brochure, or contact:

Email Icon Email Me

Phone Icon 1-877-544-3271

Any individual may report to MaineHousing suspected errors and program abuse related to programs:

  • By telephone: 1-800-452-4668 or (207) 626-4600
  • In writing: MaineHousing, ATTN: LIHEAP Errors and Program Abuse, 353 Water Street, Augusta, ME 04333
  • By e-mail: Email Icon Email Me

@2019 MaineHousing. All Rights Reserved. 
MaineHousing does not support or endorse external links. 
Facebook_White  Twitter_White  Instagram_White  Pinterest_White
353 Water Street, Augusta ME 04330
(800) 452-4668 \ (207) 626-4600
Fax (207) 626-4678 \ Maine Relay 711