Home Energy Assistance Program

** This program closed on 04/12/2023. If you need heating assistance now, please contact your Community Action Agency to apply for a Winter Energy Relief benefit. **

The Home Energy Assistance Program (HEAP) helps qualified homeowners and renters pay for heating costs. Benefits include help paying for fuel and emergency fuel delivery. You can also qualify for energy-related repairs if you are eligible for HEAP.

Households are encouraged to apply for HEAP as early as possible. The application process normally takes from several weeks to over a month, and involves both a written application and an interview, to help determine eligibility and the level of benefit. The amount of benefit eligible households receive varies depending on household size, income and other factors. Benefits are typically paid to your fuel provider as a credit to your account


The amount of assistance you may get from HEAP is based on your household size and income, energy costs, and other factors.

You may be eligible for assistance if your total household income falls within the income eligibility guidelines which is the greater of 150% Federal Poverty Level (FPL) or 60% of State. 

If your heat is included in your rent, you may still apply for HEAP.

Additional help may be available if you have less than a 3-day supply of heating fuel or are in danger of having utility services disconnected and you have no means to pay your energy company.  

If you are eligible for HEAP, you also may qualify for other programs that require HEAP eligibility:

  • If you receive residential electric service from an electric utility and you are not living in government subsidized housing, you may be eligible for assistance with your electric bills from your electric utility’s Low Income Assistance Plan (LIAP).
  • If your home is not as energy efficient as it could be, you may qualify for home weatherization improvements through our Weatherization Program.
  • If your heating system is in need of repair or replacement, you may qualify for the Central Heating Improvement Program (CHIP).


Please refer to our agency contact list to apply for HEAP and to be automatically considered for the Low Income Assistance Plan, Weatherization and Central Heating Improvement programs.
At the time of application, you should be prepared to provide:
  • Names and social security numbers of all people living in your household.
  • Proof of gross household income for the last 30 day/1 month or 12 months. (Household income includes, but is not limited to: wages, social security, unemployment, pension, and disability payments.)
  • Proof of present address (for example, a rent receipt, lease, deed, or property tax bill).
  • Recent copies of your energy and utility bills.
  • The type of fuel used to heat your home (natural gas, heating oil, propane, wood, wood pellets, biobricks, coal, corn, kerosene or electricity).

Contact Information

** This program is now closed. Please contact your local Community Action Agency about the Winter Energy Relief Program if you need immediate assistance and to set up an appointment for the next heating season.**

For more information, see our related document and related links at the top of the page, download the Home Energy Assistance Program brochure, or contact:

Email Me

(877) 544-3271

Any individual may report to MaineHousing suspected errors and program abuse related to programs:

MaineHousing Logo Icon

©2022 MaineHousing. All Rights Reserved.
MaineHousing does not support or endorse external links.
equal housing opportunity logo icon  EQUAL HOUSING OPPORTUNITY

26 Edison Drive, Augusta Maine 04330
(800) 452-4668 | (207) 626-4600
Fax: (207) 626-4678 | Maine Relay 711